Monday, April 20, 2009

Ryan is out

TROY — Councilman Peter Ryan, D-District 3, will not run for a third term on the City Council this November.
“I work for a small office supply company and things are tough so I have to devote more time to the business,” said Ryan, who works for Superior Business Products in Schenectady. “It’s tough to blend business and politics. Sometimes you put yourself in a position you really don’t want to be in.
“With the economy the way it is I have to devote more time to the business.”
Also, the born and raised Trojan said he wants to spend more time with his grandchildren and will still be involved with the community.
“I didn’t do this to get a retirement or for a job, I did it because I love the city and I am going to miss it and miss the guys but in Troy it can be a challenge,” he said, of the rough and tumble nature of Collar City politics.
Ryan defeated two-term incumbent Arthur Judge in 2005 and was considered nearly unbeatable should he have decided to run again in the Sycaway area of the city.
“It’s a big loss for the city,” said party Chairman Frank LaPosta. “I’m disappointed, naturally. When you lose a good candidate you’re always disappointed but he’s a friend of mine and I wish him well but I understand why he decided not to run again.”
LaPosta said he has been in contact with the district leader and will be interviewing everyone who is interested in running.
“We’ll find a good, competent candidate,” LaPosta said. “It wouldn’t be fair to Peter if we didn’t.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home